Gluten-Free Wednesdays: Quinoa Cranberry PilafBy KerryAnn
Last week we look at the basics on quinoa and how to soak and cook it. Today, let’s look at some family favorite ways of fixing it.
When I went gluten-free, I had just discovered couscous and was enjoying it. Since couscous is a wheat-based pasta, it was totally out after going GF and at the time I couldn’t find a replacement for it. Later, I discovered that quinoa was the perfect GF substitute for any recipe calling for couscous.
Quinoa’s slightly bitter, slightly earthy taste pairs exceptionally well with chocolate or fruits. Ground into flour and put in chocolate cookies will work well. Or cooked whole, chilled until cold and tossed with fruit. I sometimes add dried fruit to hot quinoa pilafs, such as dried apricots, as they pair well together.
My Quinoa Cranberry Pilaf is a good example of how to pair sweet and bitter. It’s an excellent sweet and savory dressing replacement and we enjoy it at Thanksgiving and Christmas, however I use it year-round as a side dish.
Last year, as I tested multiple recipes for the Christmas mailer, I quickly fell in love with this sweet and savory dish. We ate it for that meal, but the next day I reheated it for lunch and it took on a crispy crust that was awesome. So if you like a crisp, browned crust and a tender inside, spread this in a baking dish and pop it in the oven at 350 degrees until the top looks rightly browned to you. I promise it won’t disappoint!
Quinoa Cranberry Pilaf
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 cups water
3 Tbs lemon juice, divided
2 Tbs coconut oil or butter
½ onion, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1¾ cups chicken stock
1 tsp salt
½ cup crispy or raw pecans, optional
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup golden raisins
1 apple, diced
½ orange, peeled, segmented, deseeded and chopped
zest of ½ orange
Dash sage, optional
In a bowl, combine the quinoa, water and 2 Tbs lemon juice. Stir and cover. Soak 24 hours. Drain and rinse thoroughly. Set aside.
In a saucepan, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the quinoa, stock and salt. Stir, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook until the stock is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Uncover and cook an additional few minutes to drive off extra moisture, if needed.
Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in ½ Tbs lemon juice and the remaining ingredients. Taste, adjust seasonings, and add the extra ½ Tbs lemon juice, if needed.
Can be served warm or at room temperature or spread in a pan and cooked at 350 degrees until the top is lightly browned.
This post is part of Soaking Grains Gallery.
- Happy Thanksgiving
- Gluten-Free Wednesdays: Quinoa 101
- Twelve Days of Christmas: Tea Wreath
- Twelve Days of Christmas: Whipped Coconut Milk
- Twelve Days of Christmas: Decorative Soap Balls
- Twelve Days of Christmas: Citrus Salt and Sugar Scrub
- Twelve Days of Christmas: Shiny Stars
- Twelve Days of Christmas: Grain-Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Twelve Days of Christmas: Sugar Cookies
- Twelve Days of Christmas: Thick, Rich Chocolate Peppermint Custard
- Get Real: Kids and The Holiday Sugar Rush
- Real Food Storage: Peppermint Patties
- Thanksgiving: Giblet Gravy
- Does Sugar Affect Immunity? Swiss Apple Pie
- July 4th Recipe: Probiotic Potato Salad
- Strategies for Hidden Veggies III- Waffles
- One Track Minds That Get Derailed: Quick Chili
Disclaimer: Some of the links in some of my posts are affiliate links. When you click them you allow me to cover a small portion of the cost of this blog. Blogging isn’t cheap and I appreciate your support so we can keep churning out awesome recipes and quality content. Using my affiliate link is like leaving a tip. Thank you. You can read more of our disclaimers here.
KerryAnn Foster runs Intentionally Domestic, formerly Cooking Traditional Foods. Intentionally Domestic is the home of the longest running real food meal plan on the internet, now in its seventh volume.
KerryAnn has over eleven years of real food experience. Read about KerryAnn’s journey to health through multiple miscarriages, celiac disease, PCOS, food allergies and intolerances, obesity, adrenal fatigue and heavy metals. She is also an It Works! Independent Distributor and she loves that crazy wrap thing!
Founded in 2005, we help you feed your family nourishing foods they will love. With two choices of Menu Mailers, multiple eBooks, Print Books and video-based classes, KerryAnn makes real food easy, accessible, affordable and family friendly for everyone.
KerryAnn founded Nourished Living Network, a network for traditional food and natural living bloggers, in 2011. NLN provides support, publicity and networking opportunities for bloggers all across the traditional foods spectrum. Our Recipe Gallery features recipes from the fifty member blogs and growing.
Leave a Reply
Join Our Weekly Newsletter
I'm KerryAnn Foster. I live in in mountains of Western North Carolina with my husband, Jeff and our two children. I blog here at Intentionally Domestic (formerly Cooking Traditional Foods) and I've written multiple books, eCourses and eBooks. I focus on real food, gluten-free recipes that are kid-happy and husband-approved. I write the longest running real food menu planner available, now in its seventh year.
I am also an It Works! Independent Distributor. I love that crazy wrap thing! I have been extremely happy with how the It Works Products have tightened up my loose skin and healed my stretch marks after loosing 100 pounds and having a 10-pound baby.
I founded Nourished Living Network, a network for real food and natural living bloggers, in 2011. I have eleven years of real food experience. Read about my journey to health through celiac disease, PCOS, food allergies, obesity, adrenal fatigue and heavy metals.
Help For Your Kitchen
Don’t Miss A Thing
What Readers are Saying
- KerryAnn on Five More Bone Broth Mistakes You Might Be Making
- amber b on Five More Bone Broth Mistakes You Might Be Making
- Stephanie W. on Two Big Announcements- Preparedness Webinars and A Huge (Free) Summit!
- KerryAnn on Breakfast Burritos
- Hosting a Cookie Exchange (and Allergy-Friendly Cookie Options) | Modern Alternative Mama on Company’s Coming, Don’t Panic: Nut Butter Cookies
- Dawne on Breakfast Burritos
- KerryAnn on Breakfast Burritos
- Blog - Maple Sugaring Giveaway: The Untapped Potential of Maple Syrup on Friday Food Fight: Is Organic Important for Maple Syrup?
- Debra E on Breakfast Burritos
- The Encore Flash Sale-- Did You Miss it the First Time??? - Keeper of the Home on Family Friendly Allergen-Free eBook
- Kimberly on Taking Care of Mama: Tighten My Tummy
- It's Baaack!! the ultimate Healthy Living Bundle!! - Beauty in the Mess on Family Friendly Allergen-Free eBook
- Barb @ A Life in Balance on Traditional Tuesdays
- Joe Frogger (Molasses and Rum) Cookie | alifeinbalance.net | A Life in Balance on Traditional Tuesdays
- how to make family meals happen | A Life in Balance on Traditional Tuesdays
- Jessica on Twelve Days of Christmas: Citrus Salt and Sugar Scrub
- The Ultimate Healthy Living Bundle Sale is BACK for Cyber Monday on Family Friendly Allergen-Free eBook
- Flash Sale: Ultimate Healthy Living Bundle on Family Friendly Allergen-Free eBook
- Just in Time for Thanksgiving - a NEW eBundle Sale for You! | 86 eBooks, eCourse, Bonus Offers | Healthy Living Library on Family Friendly Allergen-Free eBook
- Get yourself a book bundle bargain! | Burton Health on Family Friendly Allergen-Free eBook
- Save 97% on The Ultimate Healthy Living Ebook Bundle on Family Friendly Allergen-Free eBook
- Don’t Miss the First Sale of the Ultimate Healthy Living Bundle? – Homemaking Organized on Family Friendly Allergen-Free eBook
- Holiday Deals 2013 | Wannabe Stay at Home Mom on 50% Off Our Entire Site and Other Black Friday to Cyber Monday Deals
- Ultimate Healthy Living Bundle Flash Sale: Get over $800 worth of Healthy Living ebooks + $150 worth amazing bonuses for just $29.97 (this weekend only!) | Money Saving Mom® on Family Friendly Allergen-Free eBook
- Jump Start your Healthy Living Goals for 2014! - Brown Thumb Mama on Family Friendly Allergen-Free eBook
- PW on Day Off: Eggroll in a Bowl
- Black Friday Weekend Sale – Ultimate Healthy Living! | Bella Vista Farm on Family Friendly Allergen-Free eBook
- KerryAnn on A Real Food Storage Update- Taco Seasoning Mix
- Ultimate Healthy Living Bundle 2013 - Encore Sale on Family Friendly Allergen-Free eBook
- LAST CHANCE to get the Ultimate Healthy Living Bundle! - Jaimie Ramsey on Family Friendly Allergen-Free eBook