Last post, I mentioned that I was going to do the Paleo Auto-Immune Protocol. Shortly thereafter, I did start the program, but was derailed after a few days because I came down with the flu. It has taken me two weeks to recover from that. I re-started the program again this week and will be on strict AIP for 4-6 weeks, until I can begin re-introducing foods.
Here’s the menu I’m eating this week. Because most of the AIP recipes online are for four people, and I’m doing breakfast and lunch alone and trying to combine dinner with the family, you will see me eating a lot of leftovers. I will also be stocking the freezer for future meals to make staying on AIP for the 4-6 weeks easier.
You’ll notice that while I am sticking strictly to AIP, I am not sticking to low-carb. I have decided to try AIP as-is for now, and later if I see I need to reduce my carbs, then I can do so. AIP does restrict processed foods and all sugars, so the squash and the dates are the highest carb items I’m eating. Overall, I do think I’m getting less carbs than I would be getting if I were eating a gluten-free diet that included grains or baked goods.
I’m also eating ferments at every meal. Kraut, pickles, dilly carrots and other items. At least 1/4 cup per lunch and dinner, and a little on the side when I have a savory breakfast such as the breakfast skillets.
- Breakfast Skillet– ground beef, mushrooms, spinach, thyme and rosemary
- Cauliflower Alfredo over spaghetti squash with diced, grilled pork. The alfredo was made with coconut milk, nutritional yeast and chicken stock to stay on AIP. Doubled with half frozen for later meals.
- No lunch today, I slept in, ate a late breakfast and a huge, early dinner.
- Leftover Breakfast Skillet with some cauliflower alfredo over the top.
- Leftovers of an AIP dish I made on Sunday that I would not make again. 🙁
- Taco meat (garlic, salt and onion powder only) wrapped in plantain tortillas with a side salad and black olives with AIP Ranch. The tortillas are very good, I will be getting more plantains and making these for the freezer next week.
- Strawberry Lemonade Ice Cream with no sweetener other than the fruit- kids liked this.
- Leftover Breakfast Skillet in a plantain tortilla
- Shrimp and Asparagus Stir-Fry
- Bunless hamburger patties, sauteed kale and Sweet Potato Fries made with lard, salt and garlic powder.
- Bacon and baked butternut squash pureed with coconut cream. The butternut squash puree is actually already in my freezer from this Fall, so I am making good use of it for AIP. I baked the squash until tender and pureed it with coconut oil and coconut cream from Wilderness Family Naturals.
- Garlic Soup
- Leftovers for dinner
- Breakfast sausage- ground pork, thyme, sage, rosemary, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt, fried into patties. I found ground pork on a major mark-down because it expires soon, so I bought four pounds and will be putting cooked sausage patties into the freezer.
- Butternut squash
- Bacon wrapped dates and a salad
- Leftovers for dinner
- Leftover sausage and butternut squash
- Grilled steak with a big salad
- Pumpkin Pie
- Paleo wrap with salad, AIP Ranch and smoked salmon on a picnic.
Photo by cipher on flickr.